07 November 2007

Other: The Order of Things

As a first post, I'll start (with a Foucault pun) by giving some order to my postings. I'm beginning with the premise that such an activity will prevent me from having to create multiple blogs. Each post title will start with a subject heading: "Topic" will be for those posts that deal with the subject matter of the dissertation itself (see next post); "Meta" will be for those posts that deal with the act of writing a dissertation; "Tangent" will be for those posts that deal with interests that are not directly related to the dissertation work itself; "Other" will, obviously, cover those things not otherwise relevant to the subjects already listed. I'll put the subject headings in the labels as well, but the title should expedite things, should you be searching. I'll modulate the fonts (Topic in Georgia, since it's a good font for large blocks of text, which presumably those will be; Meta in Verdana, since it's one of my favorite sans serif fonts; Tangent in Times, since Times is small, and tangents are supposed to be smaller than the dominant topic, but because those also can run long, serifs can help with long posts; and Other in Courier to look appropriately administrative--this post aside) to make it easier as well.

In any event, please post comments about whatever interests you to help me get smarter about all of this thinking (since this is my mind in first draft mode) and figure out where I'm rushing ahead because I've been thinking about this for years and not playing it out clearly enough, or not paying attention to important caveats.

No comments: