07 November 2007

Topic: CFP(&P) Call for papers (and publisher)

As I've played with this, I've envisioned a book (probably aimed at a general audience, not as a dissertation--though if I could get it through a committee, I'd be willing to be convinced otherwise) that looks at the trope of threat in the history of education--how its marshaled for a particular policy's cause, how the threat is constructed and assessed to be worthy of policy intervention, how policies are proposed to counter the threat, and how those policies play out in the lives of those afraid of the threat and thought to be the cause of the threat. A sample of chapters I can think of right off the top of my head: the "Old Deluder Satan" law requiring education in the Massachusetts colony; the (Catholic) immigrant crisis that motivated Horace Mann's public school push; the immigrant threat posed by bilingual education (and maybe the Ebonics debate of the 1980's); Sputnik and the threat of the Soviets in the 1960's; NAR and global economic competitiveness in the 1980's; the "urban school crisis"--a conflation of fears about failing schools, race, and gangs; the DARE program and "The War on Drugs"; [obviously it's not hard to come up with examples...I think I'd be best at editing a volume with this theme and eliciting folks to write about it--I've always been better at helping others with their writing than pushing myself to getting to the writing myself...as the fact that I'm hardly closer to having a dissertation under way than I was last year at this time makes pretty clear.]

No comments: